Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup to LinkStation: *slow*

From: Felix E. Klee
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup to LinkStation: *slow*
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 11:29:42 +0200

At Fri, 26 May 2006 10:21:39 +0200,
Felix E. Klee wrote:
> > > * Hardware of the Linkstation: Mipsel CPU at 400MHz, ca. 64MiB RAM,
> > >   160GB HD at 7200RPM, 100MBit/s LAN.
> >
> > that would be your problem.
> > i bet its cpu bound
>
> I'll try turning off compression.  Perhaps that helps.

According to "top", the "ssh" server "dropbear" seems to be the limiting
factor.  This is confirmed by a test that I just did:

  time cat foo | ssh address@hidden "cat >/mnt/hda/share/sshtest.1/foo"

Data rate was about 0.84 MB/sec.

There's an alternative that I have in mind:

1. Encrypt the data on the client machine.

2. Send it via an unencrypted channel to the LinkStation.

3. Leave it on the LinkStation in an encrypted state.  This has a huge
  advantage: I could easily transfer the data from the LinkStation to an
  Internet backup site, where I definitely don't want it to be stored
  unencrypted.

Would this be possible with rdiffbackup?  If not, what software solution
should I look into?  There surely are some, offered by providers of
remote backups.

--
Felix E. Klee