[rdiff-backup-users] Creates a mirror with chmod 644 directories

From: Douglas Bollinger
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Creates a mirror with chmod 644 directories
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 14:32:58 -0400

I've noticed that rdiff-backup will create a mirror with chmod 644
directories.  This is fine if your destination server is using root to create
the mirror, but will lead to trouble if you are just using a normal user
account.

I noticed this first hand when my weekly rdiff-backup session kept failing
even after I deleted the rdiff-backup-data directory.  The problem was a few
644 directories that the normal backup user couldn't enter.  The solution was
to chmod 755 those directories and then the backup completed normally.
Unfortunately, at the next backup rdiff-backup changed those directories back
to chmod 644 again for similar problems at a future date.

Ultimately, I chmod'ed 755 all the directories at the source computer which
should fix the problem.  I would think that rdiff-backup shouldn't create a
mirror that it can't easily update, especially since the program is already
saving metadata anyway.

Anyone see this and is there an easy workaround?

--
Politicians are the same all over.  They promise to build a bridge even
where there is no river.