Re: [rdiff-backup-users] using rdiff-backup for server migration

From: Noah
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] using rdiff-backup for server migration
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 13:02:51 -0700

address@hidden wrote:
hello noah,
tar always keeps uids/gids intact on tar/untar - so does rsync if you use
"--numeric-ids" when transferring files.

Roland,

yeah I understand that. But I am asking about how to make sure the UID and GID definitions are the same on each machine. Is it as easy as copying over the /etc/group /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd files from the old server to the new server? If you dont know the answer please let somebody who does.

Cheers,

Noah