[rdiff-backup-users] 4GB limit fixed in FC5 -- no longer affects rdiff-b

From: rdiff
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] 4GB limit fixed in FC5 -- no longer affects rdiff-backup
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 13:43:32 -0800 (PST)

There has been much chatter on the list about 4gb limit issues in the current release of librsync (0.9.7) on the website, which has not been updated since 2004. It would be nice to see a 0.9.8 with all the patches applied, though it is unclear if this will ever happen.

We are using Fedora Core 5 and found that rdiff-backup does work on files
4gb. We are rdiffing a 20gb Windows BKF file which changes every
night. md5sums match after each backup. If anyone is curious, download the FC5 librsync-0.9.7-7.src.rpm and have a look-see at the patch which comes with it.

We've not tested this in cygwin/windows with the FC5 patches applied yet, though we certainly will in the near future. If anyone else has a moment to test this under windows, please post to the list.

Thank you for such a great product! We are using rdiff-backup for >30 hosts across VPNs, direct connect and locally. I look forward to a nice GUI for managing the increments!

-Eric