[rdiff-backup-users] Using a file list to exclude files

From: Chun Ly
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Using a file list to exclude files
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 13:46:29 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

 I've only use rdiff-backup for a few months now. I usually just stick
 with the simple 'rdiff-backup /foo /bar, but now I would like to
 excludes certain files and directories.

 I've looked at the rdiff-backup man page and I believe the way to do this
 is with the --exclude-globbing-filelist option. Am I correct?

 Then I would run it with the following command:
  rdiff-backup --exclude-globbing-filelist list.txt /data/chun /mnt/backup/chun

 where list.txt has the following:
  - /data/chun/AIPS
  - /data/chun/rdiff-backup-1.0.4
  - /data/chun/rdiff-backup-1.0.4-1.src.rpm
  - /data/chun/rdiff-backup-1.0.4.tar
  - /data/chun/share
  - /data/chun/daophot
  - /data/chun/galex/galfit-ex.tar.gz
  - /data/chun/galex/galfit-example
  - /data/chun/manuals
  - /data/chun/spitzer/bandmerge-S13-beta1
  - /data/chun/spitzer/cache
  - /data/chun/spitzer/dphot
  - /data/chun/spitzer/jre
  - /data/chun/spitzer/lib
  - /data/chun/spitzer/mopex_093005
  - /data/chun/spitzer/MIPS24
  - /data/chun/spitzer/mopex_*.tar
  - /data/chun/spitzer/mopex_*.tar.gz
  - *~
  - *#
  - *#~'
  - .sm

 Will this ONLY exclude these files/directories and everything else under
 /data/chun (i.e., /data/chun/spitzer/archive) will be back-uped?

 Just wanted to make sure before I implement it into a cron job.

Cheers,
 - Chun