Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Performance

From: Scott Lamb
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Performance
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 13:36:12 -0800

On Feb 13, 2007, at 1:19 PM, Corey Puffalt wrote:

In my particular case it was primarily CPU bound as you can see from the time info. The CPU was between 95-100% busy the whole time. This is what concerned me. Having a backup program being IO bound would hardly be a surprise to anyone. Being CPU bound was somewhat of a surprise to me. Of course, for those of you with 3.2Ghz versus 1Ghz machines are likely no longer CPU bound.

I saw your numbers, but they're for a repair of an existing filesystem, not a transfer. I'm not too surprised to see high CPU usage in your case - no network IO, and a command that may not have gotten as much optimization.

--
Scott Lamb <http://www.slamb.org/>