Re: [rdiff-backup-users] feature suggestions

From: aurbain
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] feature suggestions
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:08:49 -0500

Philippe Froidevaux wrote:
Please be aware that rdiff-backup connecting to rdiff-backup uses the
same mechanism as rdiff to sshfs, ie: ssh.

this is more a question than an affirmation because I do not know
anything about the rdiff's mecanisms, but so far I know :

    * with a client/serveur configuration only the files infos and diffs
      go throw the ssh tunnel.
    * If you mount your partition (or sshfs mount if you want) every
      file access will go on the network, which is more slower because
      using more network ressources.

Am I completly wrong ? If yes tell me, it were effectivly more easier to
mount everything on the backup server :)

I can see that the added traffic of the directory searches might make the method slower, but I found this http://www.howtoforge.com/sshfs_rdiff_backup which says the sshfs method is a little faster. Even if sshfs were a little slower, I'd take the hit for the simplicity of not having a client to maintain.