[rdiff-backup-users] Some interesting questions about rdiff

From: Salvador de la Puente González
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Some interesting questions about rdiff
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:27:09 +0100

Hi everybody.

I'm developing a backup application that wraps rdiff-backup and it's triggered by inotify.

Supose I have following folder:

myFolder:

FileA.txt
FileB.txt
FileC..txt

If I execute rdiff-backup --exclude ~myFolder/FileB myFolder backup then I have a backup at time T.

Then, I execute rdiff-backup --include ~myFolder/FileB --exclude-regexp '.' myFolder backup to "add" B to the backup and I have a new backup at time T' containing only  FileB.

The, If I list backup content at time T', then It's shown:

myFolder:

FileB

My question is, is possible to add FileB to the last backup?

I mean, is possible some like rdiff-backup --update --include ~myFolder/FileB --exclude-regexp '.' myFolder backup

Then, If i list buckup content at last backup time, It should show:

myFolder

FilaA
FileB (added)
FileC

----

Now another question.

Anybody can explain me how rdiff-backup make its reverse diff files and what is the structure and mean of each file inside rdiff backup folder?

That's all.

Thanks a lot.

P:D: Excuse my English, please and thx again. x)