Re: [rdiff-backup-users] How to request from new user

From: Eric Jensen
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] How to request from new user
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:20:00 -0500

Martin,

I'm glad that you are starting to get this up and working.

ListError .evolution/tasks/local/system [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/home/martin/.evolution/tasks/local/system'

and involving the backup of files associated with evolution or
openoffice. Did these occur because, for example, I had evolution open
at the time the backup was taking place?

I don't know why these occur - maybe try a search of the mailing list archive and see if anything turns up there.

I tried to include /etc/fstab originally, using

rdiff-backup --include /etc/fstab
--include /home/martin /media/ext3backup/rdiff-backup

but this wouldn't run. I think there is something wrong with how I am
using the include arguements?

Right - you have specified some '--include' arguments, but no source directory. You need to have something like:

rdiff-backup [--include dirs --exclude dirs] source-dir destination- dir

That is, --include or --exclude only serve to select or eliminate files that already live in the source directory you specify - and here you haven't specified anything for the source, just the destination.

To include both your home directory and /etc/fstab in the backup, you'll need to specify a source directory that is a parent to both of them, so that would mean going all the way up the directory tree to the root, '/'. So you could do something like:

rdiff-backup --include /etc/fstab --include /home/martin --exclude '**' / /media/ext3backup/rdiff-backup

I've added two things to your example - the "--exclude '**'" to exclude everything you haven't explicitly included prior to that, and the '/' to specify the source directory.

I haven't tested this - better try it yourself! But it's quite similar to one of the examples here:
http://rdiff-backup.nongnu.org/examples.html#exclude

Good luck,

Eric