Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Native Windows Port

From: Kevin Horton
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Native Windows Port
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 21:15:31 -0400

On 3 Apr 2008, at 19:17, Josh Nisly wrote:
I'm attempting to make a native Windows port of rdiff-backup. I've succeeded so far in building librsync and rdiff-backup's cmodules, as well as fixing rdiff-backup's fs_abilities checks. What I'm running up against now is that there seems to be a lot of assumptions that the directory separator is "/", which obviously doesn't work on windows.

Well, rdiff-backup is a Python program. Python is designed so that you always use "/" as the path separator when you write a program, and the python interpreter worries about how to convert the path separator to the one that the actual OS you are on needs. This makes it easier to use the same program on different operating systems without having to change the code.

I wonder if rdiff-backup can be made to work with py2exe.

http://www.py2exe.org/

--
Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada