Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Building rdiff-backup on Windows

From: Josh Nisly
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Building rdiff-backup on Windows
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:23:57 -0500

Andrew Ferguson wrote:
On Apr 8, 2008, at 8:23 AM, Josh Nisly wrote:
Under a normal non-cygwin Windows build, there is no place to look for the librsync library, so you have to specify a location somehwere. It seemed that looking in the current directory was the most generic place. Another option would be allowing the --librsync-dir option to work on nt platforms (we only support this flag on posix platforms.)

Yes, that is what we should do (--librsync-dir option). Best to do it right the first time, eh? Since the flags handling part of setup.py is enclosed in an "os.name == 'posix'" test, can you split out the parts that are actually not posix-specific? (if any of them are)

Ideally, what we want in setup.py is:

0) Handling of arguments that is generic (same on Posix and Windows)
1) Special handling for Posix-only
2) Special handling for Windows-only

3) call to setup(name="rdiff-backup", version= ....)
I'll change the setup script to handle the --librsync-dir option for both posix and nt. Windows doesn't have the neat include and lib folders, so it makes it a little bit more of a pain to build, but I think that's ok, since Windows is very much a secondary platform.

I've got a script I use that downloads and builds librsync, checks out rdiff-backup, patches, and builds it (this is harder on windows than on linux! :-). I'll post this script once things get a little closer to completion.

The libcmt.lib is a Microsoft compiler thing. Again, it could be made a flag, although it will always have to be that option, because of the mess that Microsoft has made of their libraries.

Sounds like a flag for libcmt.lib is unnecessary, then. However, you shouldn't simply set lflags_arg to be that, but should append to that array. (We don't want to overwrite anything the user may have set)
Did you mean necessary or unncecessary? Since I'm scripting it, I can handle it either way, but including it will make it easier for others to build.

Andrew
JoshN