Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Manually removing directories from the server

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Manually removing directories from the server
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 08:58:59 -0400

On Apr 14, 2008, at 8:40 AM, Yuval Hager wrote:
On Monday 14 April 2008, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
Yuval Hager wrote:
Hi,

I am using rsync.net as the backup server for my home computer. The quota
on the server is limited (this is a pay-by-GB service).

Probably, the best choice is to use:

rdiff-backup --remove-older-than

But this will remove *old* entries from the backup. The situation is that I *just finished* a backup with something I can give up on.. I would hate to
lose old history in favor of new files I don't need..

What damage will be made if I delete these files directly on the backup
server?

Yes, you will need to also remove the entries for them in rdiff- backup's metadata logs. The metadata logs are gzip'd flat text files. Un-gzip them, then delete the entries for every file which you are manually deleting from the repository.

If you are backing-up ACLs or Extended Attributes, you will also need to remove the entries from those files. All of these files are stored in the rdiff-backup-data directory of the repository.

Alternatively, if you have only backed-up the source 1 time (and thus have no history), you can safely delete the rdiff-backup-data directory, delete all of the files which you don't want any more, then run rdiff-backup again with the --force option to request re-creating the rdiff-backup-data directory.

Andrew