Re: [rdiff-backup-users] inodes and Windows

From: Josh Nisly
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] inodes and Windows
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 08:09:21 -0500

Charles Marcus wrote:
On 4/15/2008 8:14 AM, Josh Nisly wrote:
I've never seen a Windows program that even attempts to handle hardlinks, so I'm not sure it's worth trying to handle them in rdiff-backup.

Maybe you could check out DataSafe Backup?

http://sofgem.selfip.com/

This program is actually doing something different. It claims to use hardlinks to save storage space with files that are identical.

??? I was responding to the comment that 'I've never seen a Windows program that attempts to handle hardlinks...'

If thats not what was meant, then maybe the OP should choose their words more carefully?

Ah, ok. My mistake. What I was meaning originally was that I've never seen a Windows program that tries to detect files that are already hardlinked, and tries to behave differently based on that fact.

JoshN