Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Not always getting all the files over a cifs sh

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Not always getting all the files over a cifs share
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 18:56:39 -0400

On Jul 11, 2008, at 5:05 PM, Derek Flint wrote:

Hello,

We're running rdiff-backup 1.1.16 on Ubuntu server 7.10 with a source
directory that is on mounted windows share and a destination directory
that is a local ext3 partition.  We're using cifs to mount the windows
share.

What options are you using? What version of Linux kernel? Windows version? What is your network latency like? On your server, what version of python? 32 or 64 bit? What does `cat /proc/fs/cifs/ DebugData` return? How about /proc/fs/cifs/LookupCacheEnabled and / proc/fs/cifs/OplockEnabled ?

All too often it seems that only a subset of the files on the share are found and the backup will only backup those files. The files it doesn't
find from previous backups it removes from the mirror.  Are there any
ideas as to why the backup would only find some of the files on the
share?  The share itself hasn't changed in these tests.

There doesn't seem to be any error messages indicating something out of
the ordinary went wrong when the job only gets the subset.  The
statistics we get from such a job looks like the following.

Here are a few suggestions:

- Run rdiff-backup with a higher verbosity like -v5 to see a list of which files it believes have changed. Process the log to see whether those files actually exist. Also, with -v5, you will get a debugging output at the beginning which tells you which rdiff-backup options have automatically been selected (symlink support, escaped characters, etc.)

- Do CIFS debugging with the cifsFYI and traceSMB /proc entries. See the cifs README or manpage for more information:
        http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/fs/cifs/README?v=linux-2.6
        http://linux.die.net/man/8/mount.cifs

- Did you look over the CIFS entry in the rdiff-backup FAQ? It doesn't address this issue, but perhaps one of the issues it does talk about rings a bell for you with other problems you have seen:
        http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/FAQ.html#cifs

Andrew