[rdiff-backup-users] Re: Speed issue in first run

From: Jussi Hirvi
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Speed issue in first run
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 20:35:37 +0300

Hei,

Thanks for the tip. I believe that's true, but still I have the impression
that an empty rdiff-backup-data in target dir makes a difference - if it
doesn't exist, the first run seems to take ve-e-ery long (though source and
target should be identical). However, there are unknown factors, so I cannot
be absolutely sure. And testing (in normal operation) is slow, as my backup
batches are large.

Anyway, the restoration of my backups runs now smoothly, it's a matter of
days only, not weeks. So I guess I'm ok.

As a general remark, rdiff-backup seems to be much slower than rsync. I'd
like to know the reason for that.

Another remark (off-topic): it would be a nice feature to get indication of
progress - for example something like ""LL % ready, MM Gb examined from
total of NN Bb". This could be written every few minutes in a separate file.
I saw in the list archive that this has been proposed earlier.

Regards,
Jussi

--
Jussi Hirvi * Green Spot
Topeliuksenkatu 15 C, 00250 Helsinki * Puh. ja fax (09) 493 981