[rdiff-backup-users] [Errno 95] Operation not supported

From: James Pharaoh
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] [Errno 95] Operation not supported
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 07:59:45 +0000

Hi,

I can see some people having a similar problem on the mailing list
before but no apparent resolution. This is running Ubuntu 8.10 with
rdiff-backup 1.1.16 on both client and server. The server is running
on an OpenVZ VM.

On the client I run:

sudo rdiff-backup --exclude-other-filesystems --exclude-sockets
address@hidden::/ /home/james/backups/hccorp

And I get the following output:

ListError dev/ptmx/pts [Errno 95] Operation not supported
ListError dev/sg9/shm [Errno 95] Operation not supported
ListError lib/init/readlink/rw [Errno 95] Operation not supported
ListError opt/proc [Errno 95] Operation not supported
ListError srv/sys [Errno 95] Operation not supported
ListError var/local/lock [Errno 95] Operation not supported
ListError var/opt/run [Errno 95] Operation not supported

These are all kind of my mount points but an extra path element is
inserted between the parent directory and the mount point itself,
apparently each time it is the previous item in the parent

So rdiff-backup is scanning /lib/init and encounters first
/lib/init/readlink, then /lib/init/rw. It should be ignoring
/lib/init/rw because it's a separate filesystem but instead it's doing
something weird and apparently concatenating the next directory entry
to the previous one rather than to the parent directory's path.

FYI my mount points on the server are as follows:

/dev/simfs on / type reiserfs (rw,usrquota,grpquota)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid)
/proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid)
varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec)

As it happens, this isn't causing a problem for me. This is a mount
point and so it should be ignored given the parameters I'm giving. All
the other files appear to have been transferred correctly. It does
still look like a bug in rdiff-backup, possibly caused by some weird
aspect of openvz or something?

Thanks
James