[rdiff-backup-users] Instrumenting rdiff-backup to report progress durin

From: Josh Lehan
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Instrumenting rdiff-backup to report progress during run?
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 18:25:24 -0800

Hello. I am wondering if there is currently any way to get rdiff-backup to display its progress during a backup run.

Ideally, something like "rsync --progress" would be desirable. This would have all the information necessary for seeing what is going on at any given moment.

I looked through the current list of features and options, and found no way to enable a progress report. I can increase verbosity and get a lot of debugging information, but that's about it.

What I'm looking for is a way to see the following, during a backup run:

* Name of current file being examined

* Decision made regarding that file (skip it as unchanged, increment from it, copy it completely, create new file, delete old file, and so on)

* Total count of files examined so far

* Total size, in bytes, of files examined so far

* For files that are not being skipped, intra-file progress information, such as number of bytes compared or copied so far, and number of bytes remaining

* Total number of files on the source (because rdiff-backup walks all directories in a single pass, unlike rsync, this information would be very difficult for rdiff-backup to know in advance without adding another pass)

* Total number of bytes on the source

The method of communicating this information should be separate from the usual backup logs, because the backup logs are buffered. This progress information should be visible in realtime, however, or it isn't very useful.

Perhaps a named pipe, or an additional file descriptor, would be a good way of communicating this status information. Suggestions are welcome.

Josh Lehan