[rdiff-backup-users] Errors between rdiff-backup and NTFS-3G 2009.2.1?

From: Matthew A. Thompson, Contractor, Code 6189
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Errors between rdiff-backup and NTFS-3G 2009.2.1?
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 08:31:53 -0500

Previously, I had asked this list about this error which occurs when trying to backup to an external NTFS drive:

http://pastebin.ca/1342055

Blame seemed to be placed on attr and libattr which had just been updated that day. However, regressing libattr had no difference.

I then looked back at my yum log and saw that NTFS-3G was updated a few days earlier. Since I rebooted right before this error occurred, perhaps mounting my external drive NTFS-3G upon reboot had caused it. Checking NTFS-3G's site we see:

http://www.ntfs-3g.org/releases.html

STABLE Version 2009.2.1 (February 12, 2009)
<snip>
# Change: The user extended attribute namespace is supported by default on Linux.

The release notes on this point states:

The user namespace extended attributes are supported from now by default
on Linux. The other namespaces like system, security, and trusted, are
supported by the Advanced NTFS-3G driver. Please see more at

    http://pagesperso-orange.fr/b.andre/advanced-ntfs-3g.html
and
    http://pagesperso-orange.fr/b.andre/extend-attr.html

I read this to mean that "streams_interface=xattr" (or something) is default and NOT "streams_interface=none" as was true before. So I try:

# mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdd1 /media/LaCie -o streams_interface=none

and, voila, I can backup!

My question now is, should I just always mount as "streams_interface=none" or is there something I can change with rdiff-backup to allow me to now use the new default mounting option of "streams_interface=xattr".

Thanks,
Matt
--
Dr Matthew Thompson, NRC Postdoc (Contractor)
Naval Research Laboratory, Code 6189