Re: [rdiff-backup-users] snap-shots every 10 diffs...

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] snap-shots every 10 diffs...
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:13:59 -0400

On Mar 23, 2009, at 3:51 PM, address@hidden wrote:
So, I really simply don't know what to believe. I don't have a case
first-hand I can examine to see for myself. (And the cases where
someone has gone and looked, there are NO snapshots, only rdiffs.)

That's exactly why I asked this question again.

It sounds like a myth that's widely believed, but no-one is certain
which way is the way it actually happens...

Hi Greg,

Sorry for the confusion. I know I am the source of some of it, because I did not realize until recently that there are two different behaviors.

For the *metadata* files, the snapshots occur exactly as Simon just described. The metadata files are the ones in the top level of rdiff- backup-data, and have names like: mirror_metadata.* , extended_attributes.* , etc.

For regular files, only reverse deltas are saved. You are correct that this introduces fragility in teh system. The tradeoff is that if you want snapshots (like for the metadata), then your repository will grow much, much faster, so no snapshots are kept.

hope this clears things up,
Andrew