Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Are my backups too corrupted to recover?

From: JoSH Lehan
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Are my backups too corrupted to recover?
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 01:57:50 -0700

Andrew Ferguson wrote:
Hmm, interesting. I was just thinking about this bug the other day and hoping to figure it out.

That would be great if the "Bad index order" bug could be fixed. It stings many people when trying to regress.

Some data points I have noticed:

1) It only happens for filenames that had to be remapped to numbers within the "long filename data" directory.

2) It only happens during rollback of a previous backup run that failed somehow.

3) This bug will often happen for filenames with Unicode characters in them. How exactly does Python assign a sort order to tuples? I'm surprised the rdiff-backup code would even care about the order of filenames at that point. I"m hoping that there's not some kind of locale screwup that causes Unicode characters to get a strange sort order that is different from what Python expects.

I haven't had this bug happen in a while, but the last time it happened, I tried running the regress both in the "C" locale and the default (en_US.UTF-8) locale, and it still failed for both times, so the system locale setting wasn't the problem. Since then, I haven't been able to successfully reproduce the bug.

Josh