[rdiff-backup-users] trouble with paths for rdiff-backup - probably a si

From: Dave
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] trouble with paths for rdiff-backup - probably a simple question/answer
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 19:48:01 -0400

My source directory tree looks like this. I only want to back up the latest directory under "the-stuff-I-want-to-backup".
/
-| some-stuff
----| my-stuff
--------| the-stuff-I-want-to-backup
-------------| 1001
-------------| 1002
-------------| 1003
-------------| 1004

The numbered directories get created automatically. Each one differs only slightly from prior ones. I only want to back up the latest one. These numbered directories include subdirectories and files.

I did my first rdiff-backup (using pybackpack that one time) when 1001 was the most recent stuff I wanted to backup. All the destination files and subdirectories were created using the full path:
/some-stuff/my-stuff/the-stuff-I-want-to-backup/1001

And the rdiff-backup-data is stored at the root level of the tree I showed above.

So my problem is how to most efficiently back up 1004 now. I want it to be a diff (version) based on 1001 because most of the files are the same as 1004.

How can I tell rdiff-backup to put the stuff INSIDE 1004 into the existing backup it stored at "/some-stuff/my-stuff/the-stuff-I-want-to-backup/1001"?

How can I rename "1001" to a generic name and not break any of the metadata?

I would have preferred to have my backup stored on the destination with a relative path. Then I could just backup from inside the 1004 directory right to the destination. Is there a way to do this?

I'll be using rdiff-backup from the command line for all this.

Thanks