Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Ignoring resource forks

From: Simon Hobson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Ignoring resource forks
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 20:06:59 +0100

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

Why would the data file always be different if as you said, it excludes
both the resource fork and metadata?

I think (and again, it's quite some time since I looked into this so I could be completely wrong !) that's it's down to a rather brain dead implementation ! I thought it was something to do with the receiving end working with "file" as a complete entity which of course doesn't match "file" (data fork only) plus "._file" offered by the sender. Thus the file gets sent again (as two files which get re-assembled).

Actually, I've been doing a bit of searching, and found a few references. Some are a bit old, but I get the impression that Apple might not be applying full priority to fixed the issues. This is of course getting somewhat off-topic for this list - but it is "sort of related" for people doing backups on OS X. Some of the links mention extended attributes, and I can confirm that in 10.5, extended attributes are definitely in use* - but I don't know how widespread they are.

It was even more interesting to read in one of these references that HFP+ actually support arbitrary forks, not just resource and data. In that respect it has something in common with NTFS which supports arbitrary threads within a file - conceptually very similar.**

http://www.bombich.com/mactips/rsync.html
"I strongly encourage you to use rsync 3.0.5 or greater for Tiger and Leopard. The version of rsync that Apple ships with Tiger and Leopard does not perform as well as rsync 3.0.5, consumes more memory (especially for transfers of many files), and will copy unmodified resource forks every single time."

http://www.n8gray.org/blog/2007/04/27/introducing-backup-bouncer/

http://blog.plasticsfuture.org/2006/03/05/the-state-of-backup-and-cloning-tools-under-mac-os-x/

http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/cs_msg/66135

http://mjtsai.com/blog/2006/01/16/fixing-rsync-on-tiger/

* Ones I know about are some core system files, and Time Machine archives are tied to the MAC address of your ethernet port (so you need to change the MAC in the extended attribute if you have your logic board replaced if you want your TM archive to be recognised - guess how I found that out !)

** Something I gleaned from a talk given by Jeremy Allison of the Samba project. As Microsoft do not have any OS still in support that doesn't support this feature, it could suddenly get used at any time and the Samba team need to consider how to handle it.

--
Simon Hobson