Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Problem with first backup

From: Josh Nisly
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Problem with first backup
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:56:51 -0500

Steven Willoughby wrote:
Giorgio wrote:
Hi,

I have to perform a backup over the Internet, using rdiff-backup. The scenario is as follows: - Backup activities can only run at night, when no one is using the files.
- The connection is ADSL, so it is pretty slow.
- The turnover size is around 100 MB per day, so this makes it sound ok even with a slow connection.

The big problem is how to do the initial copy, as the data size involved is ~30 GB, and I do not have the possibility to copy the data through a physical medium.

Hence, I have thought about using rsync to copy a chunk of data every night, until I get the whole 30 GB on the other side, and then I can start using rdiff-backup.

Does this sound doable? Will rdiff-backup be able to start from an existing copy of the data?

Yes, you will just need to add --force to the first run of rdiff-backup. If the ADSL connection is flaky (mine changes the ip address frequently) then you can additionally use an openvpn connection to smooth out the connection wrinkles. (I think you need the --ping and --ping-restart options on the openvpn client side and would probably want to assign a static ip on the openvpn server side.)
Actually, with the most recent version of rdiff-backup, you don't even need to use the --force parameter.

JoshN