Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Version incompatibility and availability

From: Scot Wilcoxon
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Version incompatibility and availability
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:54:05 -0600 (CST)

> On Friday 20 November 2009 00:19:59 Scot Wilcoxon wrote:
>> I ran headlong into the version incompatibility problem, because I'm
>> running different versions of Ubuntu thus there are different
>> rdiff-backup
>> versions packaged on the two systems.
>
> Well, there is a stated goal to compatibility in the stable branch, which
> now
> happen to be 1.2.x. In other word it should be safe to run the Ubuntu 9.04
> rdiff-backup (1.2.7) and the Ubuntu 9.10 rdiff-backup (1.2.8).
>
> The fact that you will receive a warning (not an error) is probably due to
> historic and/or cautionary reasons.

Actually, I did get a full set of debug-style error messages.  And,
indeed, one system is running an old Ubuntu.  So I'm glad that you
mentioned that, so I no longer think that r-b doesn't know how to emit a
simple warning line.

The collections which cover multiple versions of Ubuntu (and whatever
similar ones might exist for other distros) should be documented
someplace.  Probably at least in a Wiki page about version level
compatibility, so there will be a place for present and future
compatibility notes.