Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Verify times increasing

From: Daniel Miller
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Verify times increasing
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 09:06:42 -0500

Ideology: I do the large verify every day on the remote system to make
sure my backup history is not becoming corrupt (e.g. due to disk
failure, etc.). Ideally I would like to verify the past year, but that
will obviously take way too long to be possible with my setup.

Observations:
Despite reducing the amount of historical data that gets verified from
one year to three months,

I think you are misunderstanding how --verify works.  If you say:

rdiff-backup --verify-at-time 1Y

it does not verify the last 1 years worth of backups.  It verifies a
single backup a year ago (I believe the closest backup before that exact
time); hence the name "verify-at-time".

Yes, I do understand that. But to verify a one-year-old backup it must apply each set of differential data over that entire year to reconstruct the files as they existed one year ago. This effectively verifies that every backup between now and one year ago is also valid since any corruption in an increment younger than a year would show up in the reconstructed data for the one-year-old backup. The exception would be a file that got created within the past year. Such a file could be corrupt and I would not know it until it got to be a year old. This seems to be a weakness in the rdiff-backup verification method, but I do not know of a practical way to get around it.

As the manual says, "Check all
the data in the repository *at* the given time." (emphasis added). That
explains why you are not seeing the trend you expect.  It also means
you're getting less verification than you thought.

No and no.

I'll address your second assertion first: I'm getting less verification than I thought. I maintain that it is effectively verifying the integrity of every backup increment between now and the point in time that I verify since it uses each of those increments to construct the point in time that I'm verifying. Please explain how my understanding is wrong.

Now back to your first assertion about why I am not seeing the trend I expect. Since I'm verifying a younger backup (only three months old rather than a year) it has less diff data to apply to construct that point in time and therefore it should take less time. But I have not observed a decrease. Instead the time to verify a three-month-old backup seems to be increasing at a constant rate.

Here's something I did not mention before: over the weekend (when there is enough time) I still do the --verify-at-time 1Y. Interestingly this verification takes about the same amount of time (sometimes less) than the --verify-at-time 3M which is done during the week. That doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Why is the time needed to verify a three-month-old backup not leveling off? And is there a way to bring down my verification times but still be sure that my backup archives are not becoming corrupt due to decaying storage media, etc? Is there some other method of verification that I could use, perhaps not even related to rdiff-backup?

~ Daniel