Re: Re[8]: [rdiff-backup-users] Verify times increasing

From: Alex Samad
Subject: Re: Re[8]: [rdiff-backup-users] Verify times increasing
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 07:56:14 +1100

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 02:12:37PM -0500, Daniel Miller wrote:

[snip]

> I never do a direct compare between the two drives. I just use rsync
> to copy from the FW to the USB drive. Here's my concerns: without
> some type of regularly executed integrity check of the data on the
> drive (FW or USB), how would I detect that a drive is failing before
> it is catastrophic and the bad data has propagated to all of the
> redundant USB drives? Will rdiff-backup and/or rsync tell me if the
> drive is failing when they do a backup/copy? (I don't think so) The
> only way know that the data is good in my setup is to run some type
> of consistency check on the USB drive each day after the rsync is
> complete. If that fails then I know I have a problem somewhere. BTW
> it looks like yafic won't work for me now either. there seems to be
> a bug that causes it to stop half-way through the check  :(
>
> So back to the drawing board (or google) to find a different utility
> to do the integrity check.

This has been a rather informative thread.

Can I suggest a change on what greg was suggesting. the fastest place
for you to do your check is the firewire drive (with rdiff-backup), once
you are happy with this run you file checker (on linux I would use
md5sum or cksfv) which you can create a checksum for each of the files.

transfer this checksum over from the xserver to the mini mac and check
your checksums against the files on the usb drive.

The presumption being that the xserver + firewaire 800 is going to allow
you to verify allot faster than the mini + usb - hopefully within in
your allotted time period. The other way to do this would be to rsync -c
(let rsync compare files via checksum )

Or maybe get fw800 drives for the mac mini.

Or  (what i do - this depends on your internet connection ), I
rdiff-backup to another machine on site and then rsync the rdiff-backup
directory offsite to 2 other geographical locations.  I also use
fusecompress to site underneath the rdiff-backup destination and find I
get pretty good compression - I actually rsync the compressed data which
saves me a lot of time.