Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Question about --verify

From: Joe Steele
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Question about --verify
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 19:44:11 -0500

I suspect that if you check, you will find that the files listed in your warning messages have 2 or more hardlinks to them.

After seeing your post, it occurred to me that your problem might be related to a bug report I filed back in June (and which I have just now updated):

http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?26848

As noted in the bug report, I suspect that files restored from your backups will likely end up being hardlinked differently from the way that they were linked originally.

I had included a patch with the bug report that seemed to fix the problems I reported. That is to say, future backups could be made and restored correctly, hardlinks and all. However, the patch won't help with the restoration of earlier backups from a repository.

Although I use this patch myself, I would feel a lot better if the patch was reviewed and blessed by the developers before it went into widespread use for anything other than testing purposes. My dabbling with the internals of the rdiff-backup program has been very limited.

--Joe