[rdiff-backup-users] how to shrink/purge/truncate the metadata file (and

From: =JeffH
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] how to shrink/purge/truncate the metadata file (and the file_statistics file)?
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 16:43:58 -0800

My rdiff-backup-data/mirror_metadata.*.snapshot.gz file seems to grow without bound, even though I have perodically used --remove-older-than to remove a number of prior increments. I.e. I expected --remove-older-than to shrink/purge/truncate the metadata file (as well as the file_statistics file), but this seems to not be the case. So eventually my backup disk fills up.

Is there any way to get rdiff-backup to automagically shrink/purge/truncate those files, e.g. when employing --remove-older-than ?

If not, the only way I know to address the issue is to delete everything on my backup disk when it gets near full, and the start all over with an effectively full initial backup. This seems suboptimal for various reasons.

I'm using rdiff-backup 1.1.5

thanks for any insight/help folks may be able to offer.

=JeffH