Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Advice on using rdiff-backup for home backup so

From: alex
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Advice on using rdiff-backup for home backup solution
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 09:08:24 +1100 (EST)

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 5:19 AM, Billy Crook <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 10:25, taltman <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

I'm looking to get feedback on a proposed home backup solution using
rdiff-backup. I'm new to backups, and I'm trying to strike a balance between
simplicity and adequate protection. I've read the rdiff-backup webpage,
documentation, and wiki, and I've been working through the "Backup and
Recovery" O'reilly book.
[snip]

I'm not quite sure what's the best way to do #6.

When I bring the offsite drive back in to my house, I erase all files
on it that exist in my live server using a script I wrote, recover any
lost files if they still remain on the disk, re-key its luks
container, and make a full, complete backup onto it.

why not hook up with a friend and auto magically rdiff-backup across the
internet on a daily basis ?

at one place I rdiff-backup to another machine ( server A to server B via 1G
LAN), then I rsync across the internet to another machine so rsync server B to
server C.  You can hold friends backup and they can hold yours :)

You can find the script at
http://kclug.org/wiki/index.php/Backup_media_scrub It gives you
assurance you will catch an accidental deletion.