Re: [rdiff-backup-users] backing up dated snapshots

From: Andreas Olsson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] backing up dated snapshots
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 18:23:31 +0200

mån 2010-04-19 klockan 11:30 -0400 skrev address@hidden:
> {
> ln -s ssName-YYYYMMDDHHmm.ext /src/ssName.ext
> rdiff-backup /src  /targ
> }
>
> This apparently backs up only the symbolic link itself.
>
> I had hoped to avoid:
>
> {
> cp -p ssName-YYYYMMDDHHmm.ext /src/ssName.ext
> rdiff-backup /src  /targ
> }
>
> Can anyone suggest a way to force or fake out rdiff-backup to follow the
> symbolic link?

To my knowledge there is no explicit way to tell rdiff-backup to follow
a symbolic link.

One theoretical solution I can think of is putting a layer of Samba in
between the symbolic link and rdiff-backup. That way you can make
rdiff-backup see the symbolic link as an actual file.

No, the Samba solution really isn't one I recommend.

On a more serious note, how about using a hard link instead?

// Andreas