Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: rdiff-backup --verify 1.2.8 running around

From: Dominic Raferd
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: rdiff-backup --verify 1.2.8 running around in circles
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 15:36:25 +0000

On 21/02/2011 15:25, Robert Nichols wrote:
On 02/21/2011 12:06 AM, Dominic Raferd wrote:

I think this warning refers to the integrify.py module not to the patch
as a whole. The comment for the whole patch is:

+Added --verify-full, which verifies the integrity of an entire repository
+including all increments and metadata. This should be much faster than
+--verify-at-time=<date in the past>, and is more comprehensive in terms of
+what is verified.
Read the whole comment for the integrify.py module:

+run this script on your repository to generate integrity data for
+rdiff-backup --verify-full
+
+WARNING this will not detect if your repository has already been corrupted.
+It will create integrity signatures with the files as they exist when you
+run the script. Any corruption that happened before that point can only
+be detected with --verify-at-time. However, after you run this script you
+can use --verify-full to verify that nothing has changed since you ran this
+script.

According to this, the script generates the integrity data, and
-verify-full simply uses this integrity data to confirm that nothing has
changed since the integrity data was generated.  I just don't see any
other way to interpret that.  You say you have a version with the patch
installed.  What happens if you run --verify-full before generating the
integrity data?

It seems you are right :-( . Daniel's clever verification is only effective for repositories and dates created with/updated by his patched version of rdiff-backup. But I have had problems with his patched version of 1.2.8 (which was itself a backport from his original work) when creating repositories. Back to the imperfect --verify-at-time, then...

Dominic