Re: [rdiff-backup-users] IOError: [Errno 75] Value too large for defined

From: Dominic Raferd
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] IOError: [Errno 75] Value too large for defined
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 12:17:53 +0100

On 11/05/2011 12:01, Bruno Basilio wrote:
I suppose you want to use NTFS for backup in order to at the same time produce
MSWin compatible files. If not, just reformat your USB into EXT3 or 4. (and my
further comments are superfluos)
Do you need to use NTFS for the external drive? I suggest you try again using
a Linux format such as ext3 and see if you have more success.
My impression is that a high proportion of problems with rdiff-backup relate
to backups to NTFS volumes (backup *from* NTFS generally works fine).
BTW, I see open source utility Ext2Read
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2read/
allows a Windows machine to read and copy from Ext2/3/4 (including using LVM2)
filesystems.
Since the backups are being made in Linux I will consider using Ext2
or FAT32 as destiny, but sharing files with Windows is an important
issue.

You could use samba on a *nix machine to share with Windows. Or use rdiffweb or rdiff-backup.exe (Windows version) to recover direct from the *nix repositories.

Dominic
http://www.timedicer.co.uk/