Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Create Missing Data

From: Jakob Krainz
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Create Missing Data
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 09:54:19 +0200

On Fri 2011-03-18 04:54:43 -0700, MikeyG79 wrote:
> Wow, guess we're going to switch back to rsync. If rdiff can't create a
> backup from live files
> (ie: recreate files in the backup repository that may get erased) it's almost
> worthless in our situation.

rdiff-backup can create a backup FROM live files.
it just cannot create a backup TO live files.

This means: modify the files you want to save all the way you like,
but do NOT modify the files in the target directory.

rdiff-backup stores older versions as reverse diffs against the files
in the target directory. These reverse diffs become useless once you
modify the files in the target directory...