Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Incremental Restore

From: Kosta Welke
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Incremental Restore
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 19:26:02 +0200

Hi!

Thanks for your suggestions.

On May 6, 2013, at 4:54 PM, Edward Ned Harvey <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I'm currently trying to move from a "incremental rdiff-backup on same
>> filesystem" to "modern filesystem with snapshots".
>
> Out of curiosity, what are you moving to?

I'm currently trying out btrfs, as it has the easiest upgrade path for me and
seems to allow a "RAID 1" that consists of one 2TB drive and 3 500GB drives,
resulting in a 1.5TB raid (wasting half a GB). However, at the moment I do not
trust that solution too much, so I will make sure my offsite backups are
working before destroying my current JFS-on-md RAID5. But first, let's get the
"move-all-the-data-to-btrfs"-step right.

> for INC in $INCREMENTS ; do
>       echo $INC
>       rdiff-backup --force -r $INC /rdiff-backup-dir/ /tmp/staging/
>       rsync -a /tmp/staging/ /destination
>       rm -rf /tmp/staging
>       # Optionally, "zfs snapshot" or "btrfs snapshot" /destination
> done

Doesn't the `rdiff-backup --force -r $INC /rdiff-backup-dir/ /tmp/staging/`
step do a full checkout? That is the step I want to avoid as one checkout is >
100 GB. That takes forever and is the main motivation for me fiddle around with
the incremental stuff. The backup and the destination different hard drives
inside the same machine.

Thanks for the `sed` magic though, my bash/unix utils skills are a bit rusty.

Cheers,
Kosta