Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Offsite mirror of backup

From: Dominic Raferd
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Offsite mirror of backup
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 13:56:41 +0100

Paul

Why not backup all the rdiff-backup data too? I use my TimeDicer package to do same as you and then I use timedicer-mirror (http://www.timedicer.co.uk/programs/help/timedicer-mirror.sh.php) to backup the fileserver (Primary TimeDicer Server) to offsite (Mirror TimeDicer Server) each night. It wakes up the remote machine, runs the mirroring, if (and only if) it completes ok it converts the data on the remote machine to match that on the source and then it shuts down the remote machine. For an archive set of >300GB it transfers typically about 450MB and takes 2 hours.

You are of course welcome to look at the code of timedicer-mirror and see if it can be adapted to fit your situation. For offsite backup it uses rsync with these options (among others): -a --fuzzy --delete-after -z  --link-dest. link-dest is used to protects the destination from a failed session.

You could add --exclude option to ensure that the rdiff-backup-data directory is excluded. I don't think it contains any important info if you are only backing up data files. If you are backing up ACLs or system data I am less sure. Best and safest IMO is to include the rdiff-backup-data directory in the offsite backup.

Dominic