Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Plans?

From: Kevin Fenzi
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Plans?
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 15:27:30 -0600

On Fri, 24 May 2013 20:25:33 +0000
"Edward Ned Harvey (rdiff-backup)" <address@hidden> wrote:

> That sounds extremely helpful.  For me, time is of course, also the
> issue.  (And I probably shouldn't be writing this at work.)   ;-)
> But I'm self employed, so I'm not at risk of punishing myself.  I'm
> just not spending my time billing somebody right now, when I should
> be.  But I like doing this, so here I am.    ;-)   Beats doing
> facebook or tweeting at work.  Fundamentally the same thing.  Writing
> on the internet.
>
> If you wouldn't mind, doing exactly as you say - seeing what obvious
> low hanging fruit exists, and trying to get more info about that, it
> would definitely be time well spent.
>
> Also, I don't know if you'll need permissions either.  So simply
> getting the answer to THAT question will already represent forward
> momentum.  ;-)  I now have obtained nearly all the permissions on
> this project, so I think I should be able to grant that.

great. Will try and take a look this weekend and see what I can do.

> > Another unrelated thing... currently source is in svn. Git is the
> > new hotness, perhaps it would be worth seeing how hard it would be
> > to migrate?
>
> You're right.  Until a couple weeks ago, it  was under CVS.  And I
> shyly with a slight little gesture of embarassment, converted to svn
> intentionally instead of git.  From a technical standpoint, I do
> personally think git will be better than svn for this project, but my
> motiviation for selecting svn was thus:

...snip good reasoning...

> There are still a bunch of people out there who know svn because of
> work and haven't surmounted the obstacle of learning git...  I chose
> svn to be conservative and avoid creating any obstacles for new
> developers.
>
> Anybody who's in love with git is probably already using git2svn for
> other projects ...

Sure, thats fine. Git I think has a lot of advantages in contribution
however. It's very easy for someone to clone off your project on github
and submit a pull request back as a patch.

Anyhow, I won't press the issue, use whatever you like best and works
for the project. You can always change later or adjust.

kevin