Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup detects that many files has change

From: Teddai
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup detects that many files has changed - cifs mount
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 00:50:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!

> I had a thought.  In the manpage for rdiff-backup, see if the paragraph
> for
> the "--no-compare-inode" option might explain what is happening.

I have the same problem now since 4 weeks. rdiff-backup is used for many
years on a Debian server to backup a Windows file server over various CIFS
shares.

After I moved the virtual machine of my Windows server from VMware Server to
VMware ESXi all files were always treated as changed on every backup. I can
reproduce this also with a clean backup repository. This only happens if the
backup source is a CIFS mount.

I tried various rdiff-backup flags (--no-compare-indoe, --no-acl, --no-eas)
and various mount options (iocharset and so on) with no success. The backup
needs now ~ 20 hours instead of 3-5 hours before...

@Attila Strba: How did you solve this problem?

TIA,

Markus