Re: [rdiff-backup-users] ACLs

From: Dominic Raferd
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] ACLs
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 11:12:56 +0100

On 19/07/2013 07:48, Grant wrote:
Will rdiff-backup save and version ACLs?  I'm hoping to use rsync
--fake-super to preserve ownership and permission info in ACLs and
then create an rdiff-backup repository from the rsynced files.

Well it is certainly meant to, but I have always used it with the --no-acls option. If you don't use this option, it should save acls, and I presume it does...

There is also an option --never-drop-acls which changes the default behaviour to exit with error rather than just dropping acls if the destination does not support them or the relevant users/groups do not exist on destination.

See also the section in the man page headed 'Users and Groups' to understand how it maps users and groups - which can affect ACL preservation.

Dominic
http://www.timedicer.co.uk/