Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Delete most recent increment?

From: Ron Leach
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Delete most recent increment?
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 11:29:21 +0000

On 16/12/2013 15:28, Dominic Raferd wrote:

Ron, see my utility here:
http://www.timedicer.co.uk/programs/help/rdiff-backup-regress.sh.php

Dominic, thank you for posting this. From its description, it would seem to do exactly what we need.

I have not tried it. You'll think this odd, perhaps, but because this library is fairly important to us, I am reluctant to run anything that I could not first audit; for example, I would want to check for side effects, or 'assumptions' about the states of the source path or the backup path or the backups there or something, whether there was anything which might be problematic over NFS (file locking, for example) or whether the size of the increment might matter or, even, Debian-version sensitive, but these are just examples of concerns and is not meant to be an exhaustive list. Sadly, I'm not familiar with scripting language, so I was unable to check the script to see whether our data, or our backup regime would create any problems for, or incur any problems following, running the script.

So, I'd prefer to do something 'manually', if it were possible, so that I could be aware of what changes were happening.

Again, thanks for posting the script. I expect it does everything we need, and quite safely, but our responsibilities to others mean I have to be sure. Our difficulty is due to our lack of knowledge, and is not due to anything in the script. Were we not quite so dependent on the data, and understood scripting, we'd probably be able to check and run it.

There doesn't seem to be any advice on this regression topic in the archives, we may have to just live with consuming another 100GB of filespace.

regards, Ron