Re: [rdiff-backup-users] crash in gzip.py

From: Andrea Cozzolino
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] crash in gzip.py
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 21:58:16 +0100

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 7:22 PM, Joe Steele <address@hidden> wrote:

On 12/13/2015 7:03 AM, Andrea Cozzolino wrote:
I have quite the same problem and in the *same* environment
(openSUSE 13.2/rdiff-backup 1.2.8).

I have a broken and, so far, unrecoverable backup store.

Each time I try to backup my home dir, I got a "Negative seek"
error while "Writing file object to

The vanilla rdiff-backup 1.2.8 does not have
"outputfp.seek(-1, os.SEEK_CUR)" on line 97 of rpath.py

Mumble ... that line looks guilty to me.

[ snip snip ]
Apparently, that was causing somebody to have same problem
that you are having, and another patch was added:
[ snip snip ]
Based on the line numbers in your log, it would appear that you do
not have that second patch which was intended to fix the problem.

Latest openSuSE rdiff-backup release does not have the second patch.

In looking at the openSUSE packages
(http://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=Archiving&package=rdiff-backup),
it appears that openSUSE 13.2 contains rdiff-backup-1.2.8-42.3.  It is also evident when
looking at the source that revision 42.3 contains the second patch referenced above
(and which you do not seem to have).  So that would imply that you are not using their
current revision(?).

No, I had rdiff-backup-1.2.8-22.1.4. Release 22.1.4 is the latest
in mainstream openSuSE update repository.

The version 42.3 is only in "Archiving" repository, an optional repository.

I subscribed the optional repository and upgraded to release 42.3.
I did a couple of test and the problem seems solved.

Thank you Joe for your help.

LLaP, Andrea
--
Necessity is the mother of invention ... MacGyver is the father!
La necessità è madre dell'invenzione ... MacGyver è il padre!