repo-criteria-discuss

Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] Rough Draft of Announcement (Task 2)

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] Rough Draft of Announcement (Task 2)
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 23:10:28 -0400

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 15:15:32 +0100, Andrew Ferguson wrote:
> Mike - thanks for the changes, I'll get them done and an updated version
> sent tonight.

I saw you posted it, but I might not get to looking at it tonight---I'm
not ignoring it! :)

>> 1) It's unclear to me what "visitor" means to me -- whether it means only
>> an anonymous visitor, or either anonymous or authenticated.
>>
>> 2) Criteria A+1, "Does not log anything about visitors." is draconian,
>> and, so far as I can see, directly conflicts with A+2, "Follows the
>> criteria in the [EFF's best practices]".  The EFF recommends keeping
>> logs for a short time, but not no logs at all.  Thus there will be the
>> standard web server access_log / error_log stuff even for anonymous
>> visitors.  (I doubt it is feasible to 100% turn off*all*  logging at
>> every level, even aside from whether it is desirable.)
>>
>> Furthermore, if "visitors" includes those who have logged in, it is an
>> unavoidable aspect of hosting to log many actions, and this is not bad.
>> Simple example: make a commit -> write repository history.
>> Another example: update password -> writes database -> database records
>> transaction.
>>
>> These too could be construed as logging <something> "about visitors".
>> Presumably not what A+1 intends, but as written, I wouldn't have a clue
>> how one could comply with A+1 and still provide standard hosting services.

Zak: should we forward these to Richard, or do you have an idea?

> On 12/04/16 22:01, Sytse 'Sid' Sijbrandij wrote:
>> BTW We're working on a 'more free' repository host in
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hTGkpAgWZJ349B6Q7uUXyOYvLXAC2GzvxSfr9jVxXl0/edit
>> This might still not meet all your A criterial.

I played with the URL a little bit and got it to export a PDF:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hTGkpAgWZJ349B6Q7uUXyOYvLXAC2GzvxSfr9jVxXl0/export?format=pdf

I won't have time to read it tonight, though.

Thanks for forwarding it.

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer