repo-criteria-discuss

Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] Ethical hosting means Free Software hosting

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] Ethical hosting means Free Software hosting
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2016 08:49:09 -0700

On 06/03/2016 08:39 AM, Ian Jackson wrote:
> I have a rather serious problem with the GNU Ethical Repository
> Criteria.
>
> The main one is that
>   Server code released as free software. (A1)
> is in category A.
>
> I don't think the GNU Project (or anyone concerned with Software
> Freedom) ought to recommend hosting services which do not meet this
> criterion.  Benjamin Mako Hill made the general point forcefully in
> his excellent article "Free Software Needs Free Tools" in 2010:
>   https://mako.cc/writing/hill-free_tools.html
>
> For a comparison to what another project does: Debian does not run any
> official services (including team-specific code hosting, bug tracking,
> mailing lists, etc.), on non-free software.
>
> Personally I would be tempted to argue that this criterion ought to be
> bumped up to required-for-C.  (Although it's a bit odd that
> "Acceptable hosting for a GNU package" and "Good enough to recommend"
> are the way round they are.)  But I can see that with the greater
> workflow diversity of the GNU packages, this may be impractical.
>
> Certainly I think it should be bumped up to required-to-B.
>

> Conversely, the focus on non-free JavaScript is quixotic.  When a user
> is using a proprietary website, it does not matter much whether the
> javascript fragments or javascript libraries sent by the server happen
> to be Free.  The user is still hostage to the whole website: they
> cannot suggest improvements; they cannot set up and move to a
> competing platform with their desired changes; and so on.
>
> I understand where the original distinction between server-side code
> and browser-side code comes from: the idea that _the user_ should not
> be required to run non-free software, particularly on their computer.
>
> In many contexts, particularly software packages and operating system
> distributions, this distinction makes a lot of practical sense.  (And
> is also a pragmatic response to the real boundaries in real deployed
> systems.)
>
> But in the context of web applications, I think it is silly.
>

> I agree that Javascript is problem and I mostly run with Javascript
> turned off.  But I am hardly any better off with an unminified ancient
> jQuery (or whatever) than with a minified hacked-up proprietary
> jQuery.
>
> So we should not be /recommending/ sites which /require/ Javascript.
>
> If it were up to me I would demote the criterion C0, which relates to
> nonfree Javascript, to required-for-B.  I would promote the criterion
> A0 to required-for-B.  I would demote the LibreJS labelling criterion
> (B0) to required-for-A.
>

> The result would be that we would only recommend sites which were
> actually Free Software.  But that any site which _is_ Free Software
> could be recommended.
>
> If the site doesn't have the LibreJS labelling, no doubt the site
> operators would welcome patches to add it!
>

> Thanks,
> Ian.

FWIW, I agree 100% with everything you just wrote, Ian.

Unfortunately, GNU as a project, with RMS leading still, seems to have
decided that the free/libre status of services that make sense as
services (i.e. are not SaaSS strictly) is beyond the core scope of
things and is just a nice-to-have rather than essential. Still, maybe
people can be convinced that it deserves B level rather than A.

Regarding client-side JS, I have the sense that it *can* be kinda
powerful and not as strictly sandboxed in the browser as one might hope.
So, personally, I think whether the JS is freely-licensed or not is less
of an issue than whether it does objectionable things or not.

(Just speaking for myself as a volunteer here, one who participated in
this process)