repo-criteria-discuss

Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] HSTS screw?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] HSTS screw?
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 18:29:56 -0400

  > > Do you have a solution for this?

  > You have to access a page that is HTTP and will likely not go HSTS any
  > time soon.

That is not a solution.  That is the problem!

What I want -- and sooner or later I will arrange to get it -- is a
browser that will use http when I tell it to.

  > Several people have suggested using example.com or example.org for

Yes, that is an option.  But it is a much smaller set of people,
which means it does more to identify me.

Isn't this a screw for everyone that uses any portals?

  > Browser and OS vendors sometimes have their own pages to detect captive
  > portals.

I don't follow.  What does "detect" mean here?

--
Dr Richard Stallman