repo-criteria-discuss

Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] SourceForge requiring JS CAPTCHA to confirm

From: Aaron Wolf
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 08:50:38 -0700

On 06/29/2017 12:58 AM, Eric Wong wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It looks like SourceForge is already getting an F, but it seems
> to have gotten worse...
>
> In the past, I was OK with SF.net since I was able to successfully
> register and browse archives with w3m (they also use Mailman).
>
> Background:
>
>     I guess I'm an unofficial leader of SoX, nowadays, since
>     none of the upstream folks seem very active.  But leadership
>     doesn't suit my personality :<
>
> A few weeks ago, SF.net started requiring existing users to
> reconfirm existing mailing list subscriptions.  Yes, that means
> everybody needs to resubscribe to stay on lists they are already
> subscribed to.
>
> That's not the bad part...
>
> It requires a JS CAPTCHA; which is a major accessibility
> problem, especially considering SoX is command-line audio
> software with its share of blind users on old computers.
>
> This also hurts automated mailing list archival services like
> mail-archive.com, marc.info, gmane.org, etc.
>
> Some discussion is available on the SoX-users list, here:
>
>   https://public-inbox.org/sox-users/address@hidden/T/#u
>
> Anyways, I'm reconfirmed (I think) and will be sharing my
> subscriptions to existing SoX lists via public-inbox.
>
>   https://public-inbox.org/sox-users/
>   https://public-inbox.org/sox-devel/
>
> But still, I'm not sure how well things will work out...

Has anyone reached out to SF about this? The new owners were emphasizing
that they would listen more and be considerate of community concerns vs
the old SF owners. If you haven't, you should definitely contact them
directly with these complaints. Please report back here any important
updates.

Thanks for the note about this, it's indeed troubling.