jami

Re: [Ring] Recover User/Backup Ring Profile

From: Adrien Béraud
Subject: Re: [Ring] Recover User/Backup Ring Profile
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 17:46:16 -0500 (EST)

Hello,
The procedure you mentioned should be working (.cache isn't needed).
The registered username is basically just a (name->public key) entry in the blockchain so as long as you preserve access to your keys, the name remains in your control.

Procedure if you have a backup of previous configuration (.config/ring/dring.yml and .local/share/ring):
- First, before playing with configuration files, make sure that Ring (including the daemon process, dring) is not running: dring will override dring.yml on startup and exit.
- Then copy (recursively) .config/dring and .local/share/ring from your backup to your new system.
Note that dring.yml is supposed to be a readable, unencrypted yaml file.
- Launch Ring. Your previous configuration including all of your previous accounts should be there. Registered usernames should work.

If this is not working (for instance because backed-up dring.yml is corrupted), there is still a way to recover your account.
You just need export.gz and your password.
- quit Ring and make sure dring is not running
- move/delete previous local configuration (.config/ring and .local/share/ring)
- start Ring and create a new account (don't register username, this account will be deleted)
- quit Ring and make sure dring is not running
- notice new directory .local/share/ring/{account_id}
- delete content of new directory .local/share/ring/{account_id}/
- copy content of backed-up account data to .local/share/ring/{account_id}/ (must include export.gz).
- start Ring and Gnome client. It should ask to enter password to migrate account. Do so.
- after some time the client might show an error message. At this point ignore the message, quit Ring.
- start Ring again. Your account should be loaded. The registered username should work to call this account.

Sorry for the messy procedure ; we plan to introduce better ways to backup and load accounts in the future.

Regards,
Adrien Béraud
Ring developer,
Savoir-faire Linux