jami

Re: [Ring] Password lost

From: Mikkel Kirkgaard Nielsen
Subject: Re: [Ring] Password lost
Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 18:47:55 +0200

Hi Breizh.

On 2017-05-08 13:48, Breizh wrote:
> How can I get or change this password? I want to keep this account,
> because I don't now if I can re-use my pseudo.
> Can I use another way to add a device to my Ring account?

Here's a quote about account passwords from
https://ring.cx/en/tutorials/gnu-linux#Account:
----
If your forget it, you won't be able to change it or get another one.

Your account password is important. It is used to add other devices to
your account and encrypt the archive that contains the private keys
linked to your Ring account.
----

As I understand the implementation (I haven't studied Ring and the
account system in detail), no one will be able to reregister/overwrite
an existing account as the information is stored on the Etherum
blockchain which have no central controlling authority (by design).

See some more details at;
https://blog.savoirfairelinux.com/en-ca/2016/blockchain-decentralization-ring/

The current code in ring-daemon seems to just fail when trying to
register an existing account, refer to the code around;

https://github.com/savoirfairelinux/ring-daemon/blob/master/src/ringdht/namedirectory.cpp#L304

I think your options are to dig you memory, brute force the existing
password, or create a new account.

Regards,
--
Mikkel