jami

Re: [Ring] How to recover RING account?

From: Nathan Royce
Subject: Re: [Ring] How to recover RING account?
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2017 16:53:42 -0500

On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 4:04 PM, Julius Schwartzenberg
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to recover my account. I installed the 1.0.release on Fedora
> 26 and created an account and made some test calls.
>
> Everything worked fine, but after a reboot my account settings were
> gone. Somehow only the account picture was kept. It turned out that the
> account settings in ~/.config/ring/dring.yml were gone, but everything
> in ~/.local/share/ring is still there (certificates, private key, etc.).
> I also know my username & password.
>
> What should I do to recover my existing account?
>
> Best regards,
> Julius

I'm NOT a ring dev and I make no warranties, but see if this logic can
work for you...

1) "Move" your current ring stuff to a safe place (be as safe as you
want. if you only want to back up dring.yml, so be it, but I would
make sure everything is backed up).
2) Start ring and create a new temporary account.
3) Also copy this to a safe place so you can copy it all back if
things don't work right so you don't have to create yet another
account
4) Diff the dring.yml from the new creation along side your back up to
see the structure, or what is different.
5) Change whatever you need to with the new config and anything else
that may be related (such as the certificates, assuming it relates to
the ringAccountReceipt and/or ringAccountReceiptSignature values)

Good luck