jami

Re: [Ring] Sending failes or takes hours even if my contacts are online

From: AmarOk
Subject: Re: [Ring] Sending failes or takes hours even if my contacts are online
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 08:06:42 -0500

No.

In fact, the notification will just contains some informations like a token and a id (see wiki for examples) and is just here to waking up your device. The phone will react by waking up and get the message from the DHT not in the notification or via a Google service. Basically this is what Google (if a device use push notification) will see

{
    "token":"a token used by the device to translate token to a hash listened by the proxy node."
}

Anyone connected to the DHT can read messages on any value on the DHT. But your messages between you and your contact is stored encrypted on the DHT (for Ring). If you receive a message it will be decrypted by your device.

Push notifications support can be enabled/disabled.

If you want a system which looks like the one for OpenDHT, you can also read this article http://thomask.sdf.org/blog/2016/12/11/riots-magical-push-notifications-in-ios.html about push notifications for Riot/matrix or Signal does the same thing. Use pure wake up notification without any content.

I hope this is clear and answer to your concerns.

Have a nice day,

Thanks Sébastien for your explanation! But spoken with tons of privacy & security concerns: All the messages have to go through Google and Apple then, right?