jami

Re: [Ring] Ring packages for Fedora (was: Are the Arch linux packages go

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: [Ring] Ring packages for Fedora (was: Are the Arch linux packages gone?)
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2018 14:53:52 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

----- Original Message -----

Thanks for the information. Indeed, Fedora's packaging guidelines prevent
adding patent encumbered software[0]. FFmpeg implements tens of various codecs,
some of which are patent encumbered. As FFmpeg is a required dependency of Ring
(it is used to process the video and audio streams), it also wouldn't be
allowed to enter the main Fedora repositories. It could be added to the opt-in
RPM Fusion repository, as noted by Björn above.

In the meantime, we provide our own repository for Fedora here:
https://ring.cx/en/download/gnu-linux.

Thanks,

Maxim

[0]  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Legal