jami

Re: [Ring] Ring packages for Fedora (was: Are the Arch linux packages go

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: [Ring] Ring packages for Fedora (was: Are the Arch linux packages gone?)
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 13:04:53 -0500 (EST)

Hello!

----- Original Message -----

Yes, we also would prefer to be available 'out of the box' on Fedora, so we are
interested in evaluating all options.

> Related to the patents:
> 1. Why does Ring have to use FFMPEG at all?

It's currently used for processing (decoding/encoding) video and audio streams.
It's a required dependency of Ring.

> 2. Could https://pipewire.org/#about be an alternative?

>From a quick glance at the project, it seems PipeWire is about providing a
>similar set of features as PulseAudio but for videos. It is not dealing with
>the encoding/decoding of the streams directly itself but can be used with
>GStreamer, which can do that with its various plugins.

It might be possible to use GStreamer and a select choices of free and patent
unencumbered codecs, but I'd expect this to be a big effort (to adapt Ring for
it).

It'd be useful to make a detailed analysis of GStreamer to see how it fares
against FFmpeg.

Happy Friday!

Maxim